Mobile early leak detection system (MELDS)
The Mobile Early Leak Detection System (MELDS) is a unique system for detection, localisation and qualification of subsea oil and gas leakages at a very early stage. It combines three completely independent methods for direct and indirect detection of hydrocarbons and associated anomalies. Mounted on an ROV/AUV or towed behind a vessel, MELDS allows for a wide area coverage in a short timespan and investigations at specific locations of interest.
- A polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon Kongsberg Maritime Contros HydroC Subsea Fluorometer (PAH) sensor based on the principle of fluorescence for the direct detection of oil in water in real time.
- A highly sensitive Kongsberg Maritime Contros HydroC Plus (CH) sensor, unambiguously detecting gaseous and dissolved CH4 in water as well as other hydrocarbons.
- A conductivity, temperature and pressure (CTD) sensor suite for the measurement of associated anomalies and for establishing an environmental baseline for any further investigations (such as the calculation of CH4 concentrations).
- Designed for easy ROV/AUV integration.
- Modular system with the ability to add any third party sensor such as CO2, O2, Redox, pH, etc.
- Detects non-visible hydrocarbon leaks at a very early stage.
- Integrated flow-through system with submersible pump for manipulator directed measurements (i.e. wipe tests on flanges).
- Data export option for integration into existing data acquisition systems.